The American Red Cross in Oregon and SW Washington (Cascades Region) is calling on our community to recognize people who have exemplified courage, kindness, selflessness and bravery by nominating them for a prestigious Red Cross Hero Award. Each year, for more than two decades, the Red Cross in the Cascades Region has recognized individuals who have lived the Red Cross mission to prevent and alleviate suffering.
Nominating a Hero is easy. Complete the simple online form at redcross.org/Heroes2018 or fill out the online form, print it and mail it to American Red Cross, 3131 N. Vancouver Ave., Portland, OR 97227.
All forms must be received by Friday, December 22, 2017. The heroic actions of nominees should have taken place between December 1, 2016 and December 1, 2017 in the state of Oregon or SW Washington (Clark, Cowlitz, Klickitat, Pacific, Skamania, and Wahkiakum counties).
Award winners will be recognized at our Red Cross Heroes Breakfast on March 9, 2018. View the stories online of past Hero Award winners.
Nominate heroes in the following categories:
- COMMUNITY HERO is presented to an individual who displayed leadership and commitment to his or her community by making a positive and significant impact.
- GOOD SAMARITAN HERO is presented to an individual who displayed courage and compassion upon encountering unusual, significant or unexpected circumstances.
- FIRST RESPONDER HERO is presented to an individual or group of the public service community (i.e. EMS, firefighter, or law enforcement) who went above and beyond the call of duty to save a life.
- GIVE LIFE HERO is presented to an individual whose commitment to blood and platelet donation played a significant role in ensuring the health of patients in our local communities and throughout the country.
- MILITARY HERO is presented to an active, reserve or retired member of the Armed Forces or ROTC or civilian that has made a significant impact on the military community.
- YOUTH GOOD SAMARITAN HERO (under 21) is presented to an outstanding young person who displayed courage and compassion upon encountering an unusual, significant or unexpected incident.
- VOLUNTARY SERVICE HERO is presented to an individual who has displayed an exemplary commitment to voluntary service resulting in a significant and positive impact in his or her community.
The American Red Cross Heroes Breakfast is the region’s premiere fundraising event and a celebration of ordinary people who have taken extraordinary and lifesaving action. Last year’s Heroes Breakfast had nearly 600 attendees and honored eight award winners, including the Portland Fire & Rescue team that evacuated people from and responded to a building explosion; a Vancouver youth who resuscitated his grandfather after he suffered cardiac arrest while driving; and a Camas man who pulled a stranger from a car completely submerged in floodwaters.
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, visit redcross.org/Cascades or find us on Facebook, Twitter, and on Instagram.