After a thorough evaluation of the case evidence, witness statements, autopsy results and totality of information available to us at this time, it is largely consistent with a finding that Lesley Ann Kopp, 67, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The evidence also makes it clear that Lesley died at the location she was found.

On April 18, 2018 at approximately 8:26 pm, James Kopp reported his wife Lesley Kopp as missing. Mr. Kopp had not seen Lesley since about 9:30 am and had learned through an employee that Lesley Kopp had left work, 1902 4th St. Suite 3 La Grande, somewhere around 2:30 pm and had not been seen or heard from since.

UCSO deputies took the missing persons report as Lesley resides in the county. They initiated a comprehensive missing person’s investigation and in the course of that investigation located Lesley’s vehicle in the parking lot of the Marketplace Grocery store. This was not a normal place for her to park it. They conducted several area searches with the assistance of LGPD but were unable to locate Lesley.

On April 19, 2018 at about 8:56 am James Kopp called 911 and reported that he had located Lesley Kopp who was deceased. Lesley was found in the basement of the office building at 1902 4th St. this part of the basement is normally accessed via a locked back door that faces the alley behind the building. Lesley was located in a small enclosed area underneath a staircase.

Due to the unusual set of circumstances and the location and complexity of the death scene, a major crimes team callout was initiated and a comprehensive investigation was conducted.

During the investigation we obtained surveillance videos from multiple sources. Through these, we were able to determine that on the morning of April 18th Lesley Kopp had her vehicle parked off the alley in the back side of the building. In the early afternoon she enters her vehicle as the only visible occupant and drives north through the alley toward the Marketplace Grocery store. Within three minutes Lesley is seen walking alone south through the alley approaching the back basement door to the building. She is carrying a sack in one hand. No one else is seen in the area during this time.

The LGPD wants to thank the community and media for their patience in this case. The LGPD was assisted by UCSO, OSP, Union County Search and Rescue, Union County Emergency Management, State Medical Examiner’s office and the Union County District Attorney.